Story Structure and the Process
During the course, participants often ask, “How could anyone write a novel or screenplay without having a process like this?”
The Writers’ Studio process allows you to access the power of your imagination while grounding your story in solid structure. This is what creates the magic on the page and helps produce a profound and dramatic experience for your reader.
The importance of Story Structure
Ninety percent of novels and screenplays are rejected because of poor structure. This course demystifies story structure so you can harness its power without getting confused or rigid. It will expand rather than limit your imagination.
Many people can write great scenes and/or have a strong idea or initial incident that they think will make a great story. But an idea, a few good scenes and a dramatic incident is unfortunately rarely enough. Everything needs to be connected for your story to have a powerful impact.
Robert McKee, acclaimed teacher and author of Story, says, “You might have the insights of Buddha, but if you can’t tell a story, your ideas will be as dry as dust. Craft is the sum total of all means used to draw the audience into deep involvement, to hold that involvement and ultimately reward them with a moving and meaningful experience.”
The purpose of structure is to link the action of the story with the character journey so that each scene contributes to the overall character arc and the story builds in a dramatic and logical way, engaging your reader from beginning to end. This is the art and craft of storytelling.
The power of a step by step process
This course’s step-by-step process shows you what to do and when you need to do it, grounding your story in classic story structure while allowing your creativity to flourish and your characters to come alive on the page.
The live sessions are great fun. You get to experience the pleasure of going on a creative journey with a group of like-minded people and witnessing the magic of seeing everyone’s stories come alive as they work through the process. Our goal is to have everyone walking away from each session knowing what they need to do between sessions and feeling energised and inspired.
The workshops are scheduled one Saturday per month and one full weekend intensive. (See dates below) The workshops are where most of the heavy lifting, that is the planning and structure, is worked out (missed classes can be caught up online). Your tutors give you weekly feedback on your developing structure using our bespoke, interactive online Steps Board.
“Roland and Kathleen, and of course, Rich are Sydney’s best kept secret. They bring an aptitude, love for writing, and unique talent in drawing out the stories within, like no one else. I’m totally indebted to them for the richness of my story and in developing a love of storytelling that I never realised was so deep inside me. You will not regret one second of the time you dedicate to turning up and being guided by these lovely, lovely people. I just finished my first draft and am looking forward to starting Draft 2!”
During The Course You Will:
- Develop the broad spine of your story using our Ten-Step Outline before you start writing your actual first draft to make sure your story is structurally sound and has the legs to go the distance of a novel or screenplay.
- Implement strategies to develop, flesh out, and motivate your characters so they feel authentic, unique and come alive on the page.
- Follow a proven step-by-step process that will help you work effectively. The process interacts with our bespoke interactive online tools making sure your story is grounded, kept on track and builds dramatically and logically in the weeks between sessions.
- Learn how to develop a dance between structure and imagination to utilise your creativity while grounding your story in solid story structure.
- Receive guidance, accountability, inspiration and support from your tutor and fellow classmates to enable you to fully develop the possibilities of your story.
- Develop a regular writing habit – a fundamental ingredient of writing success.
- Learn the essential keys to creating powerful drama full of internal and external conflict using our specialised Scene Templates to bring your scenes alive on the page.
- Develop a deep understanding of classic story structure dynamics by using our 8 Turning Points and 29 Story Steps. This will keep your story on track and make sure you don’t get lost in the dreaded middle, which is where many writers get stuck.
- Learn the art and craft of storytelling. The goal of the first draft is not to write the perfect story, but rather to discover the possibilities of your story and characters.
- Complete your first draft in ten months while taking your main character and yourself on a profound journey of change. A huge achievement.
What Writers Say about our Creative Writing Courses
Below is a short compilation video featuring writers talking about their experiences doing our 4-Week Unlocking Creative Writing course and our 10- Month Novel & Scriptwriting course.
Workshop Calendar Dates
All classes available online if you need to miss any workshops. We reserve the right to change class dates if necessary.
Workshop Dates for 7 March to 22 November 22, 2020 Course
7 March Saturday Workshop – 10am to 6pm at the Writers’ Studio
4 & 5 April (Saturday & Sunday) Weekend Intensive Workshop – 10am to 6pm at the Writers’ Studio
Continues on the following Saturdays – 10am to 6pm, except the final session:
9 May, 6 June, 4 July, 1 August, 29 August, 26 September, 24 October and SUNDAY November 22 (2pm to 6.45pm & Dinner on us)
Workshop Calendar for 7 September, 2019 to 28 June, 2020 Course
7 September – Saturday workshop, 10am to 6pm at the Writers’ Studio
5 & 6 October – Weekend intensive from 10am to 6pm at the Writers’ Studio
Continues on the following Saturdays – 10am to 6pm at the Writers’ Studio:
2 November, 7 December, XMAS BREAK, 1 February, 29 Feb, 28 March, 2 May, 30 May, SUNDAY 28 June 28. (2pm to 6.30pm & Dinner)
Important Information - Please read
If you have enrolled for the 10 Month Novel & Script course and after completing Unlocking Creativity, we feel that you are not ready or suitable for the longer course, we will recommend that you either repeat Unlocking Creativity and go into the next Novel & Script course, or we will provide you with a refund for the Novel & Script course component. Please be aware that this is to do with attitude and temperament. The process of the Novel & Script First Draft Live course is delicate and requires open-mindedness, sensitivity to others, positivity, humility, passion and patience. Whether you are a complete beginner or have been trying to write a novel for 20 years it doesn’t matter – we welcome you all. But when working with a group of writers intimately for 10 months, it is our responsibility to create a safe space for all writers to enable optimum learning to take place.