KICK START YOUR WRITING JOURNEY
Unlocking Creativity is our flagship creative writing course and the first step towards achieving your writing goals, whatever they may be. Your writing improves from the very first class and continues to do so with each session as you implement tools and techniques that make other people want to read what you have written.
Professional writers, graduates of university writing programs (including MAs and PhDs) through to complete beginners have raved about the dramatic impact the course has had on their writing and storytelling skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of the fundamentals of story structure, which most people find a profound and lasting revelation.
There is an old saying that you can't be taught to write, but you can learn. The four weeks will take you through a transformative creative process. As one participant said, 'I have just had the most amazing month of my life. From dreaming about being a writer, I now feel that I AM a writer.' If your dream is to write, this course will get you doing it.
In Week One you will do a series of exercises from our comprehensive workbook that will enable you to tap into the power of your imagination - the true source of your creative power.
In Week Two you will learn how to create emotion in your writing using bricks of significant detail which will connect you with your reader and bring your characters and writing to life.
In Week Three you will be introduced to the character journey and start writing scenes. You will gain key insights into story structure and how a story works at a deep level. You will also learn how to build images into your work, one of the fundamental building blocks of fiction.
In Week Four you will write a guided short story applying everything you have learnt from the course. It will also show how storytelling is a profound dance between structure and the imagination.
Over the four sessions, you will be amazed at how much your creative confidence grows and the dramatic improvement in your writing. You will enjoy the twelve hours face-to-face being inspired and guided by Roland who will bring out the best in you and your writing.
You will be taken through a step-by-step creative process that will enable you to realise your potential as a writer and give you a practical understanding of classic story structure. This unique process will take you and your writing to a whole new level of clarity and creative expression.
Please note: If you are unable to attend a live class over the four-week period you can do the session online.
The structured at-home exercises and our interactive online Writers' Board will keep you inspired and accountable between sessions and will help you develop the most important quality a writer needs - a writing habit.
Writers who make use of the Writers' Board are amazed by its benefits. As well as receiving feedback on one piece of work per week from your tutor online, you will also learn to give and receive feedback from your fellow writers. To become a better writer, you need to become a more discerning reader.
During the four-week process you will:
- Unlock the power of your unconscious. Discover your creative power and confidence. Find your voice and the stories you want to write.
- Discover what is stopping you from writing to your potential. Learn to silence your inner critic and overcome writers' block.
- Create images that evoke emotion. You'll learn how to bring your characters to life, draw readers into your fictional world and keep them there. Discover the power of using significant detail. It will have an immediate powerful impact on your writing.
- Be introduced to how classic story structure works. You will learn how story structure exists to reveal character. They are two sides of the same coin.
- Experience the creative joy and fun of writing from your imagination. You've got to learn to get out of your own way and make the process of writing fun and exciting in order to tap into your creative potential.
- Learn how to give and receive creative, targeted feedback in a positive, supportive environment in class and online that will bring out the best in you and your writing.
- Write a guided short story in the final session.